Voir la vidéo du Golf
Voir la vidéo du Golf

Weather Chaussy

  • La une
  • La D
  • La j
  • La S
  • La deux
  • La trois
  • Venir à villarceaux
  • Map of the course
  • Vue aérienne du golf
facebook Golf de Villarceaux Twitter Golf de Villarceaux

The Golf

A place steeped in History

chateau_trou_9.JPG chateau_vu_du_trou_8_-39_Ko.JPG chateau-du-couvent-val-oise_a.jpg chateau-du-couvent-val-oise_b.jpg IMG_1252.JPG IMG_1251.JPG IMG_1253.JPG
 

Château du Couvent (now accommodating the clubhouse)

Some of the oldest buildings on the Villarceaux estate are to be found here. The Priory is first mentioned in a deed dating back to 768, although historians maintain that the Benedictine monastery was founded by Louis VII in 1160, under the auspices of the Abbey of Saint Cyr, in the original Chateau du Couvent of that date.

At the end of the XIIth century, Philippe Auguste confirmed the revenues granted by his father to the religious order established at the Priory. 

On a number of occasions the archbishop of Rouen was obliged to call the order to task for their lack of strict observance of the Benedictine doctrine.

During the 100 year war (1337 – 1453) Vexin suffered from numerous English invasions, the couvent being destroyed by fire in 1423.



 

In 1524 the buildings were reconstructed by Guillaume Pillavoine, the seigneur of Villarceaux, and, disassociating itself from the rule of Saint Cyr, the order gradually regained its religious independence.

The Revolution (1789) brought an end to the monastic calm. The land and revenues were sequestrated by the government, only to be sold later to Joseph Lakanal. The order remained at the Priory until, following a disagreement with the new owner, they departed in 1797, finally establishing themselves in Mantes in 1819.

Lakanal demolished the buildings that no longer served a purpose, just leaving the main chateau.

Before emigrating to the new world in 1814, Lakanal sold the estate to the financier Daumy, who refurbished the Château du Couvent, restoring it to the building we see today.

(source: Le Golf de Villarceaux 1971-2001, G. Jeanneau)